Investigate the effect of changing $a$ and $b$.
Make sure that you are clear about these aspects of a quadratic graph:
- its basic shape
- its symmetry
- the number of places where the curve crosses the x-axis
- how the values of $a$ and $b$ affect the shape and position of the curve
A graphic calculator is not allowed in your exam. However you can use one for revision.
The TI-83, or similar model, can display cubic graphs for you:
- Select the $Y=$ screen
- Enter $Y1 = AX$x2$+BX+C$
- Then select the GRAPH screen.
- You can then choose different values for the constants.
- For example, to make $A$ = $1$ press $1$ STO➧ ALPHA $A$.
Software/Applets used on this page
This page uses JSXGraph
This page also uses the MathJax system for displaying maths symbols.
The diagram shows a vertical y axis and a horizontal x axis.